MISFITS
a high school cliques rp
JUL
JULY UPDATES are here! read the updates & check out all the gossip at the ridgeview herald!

JUN
PUBLIC REOPENING is a go! welcome to misfits, for old members and new ones alike!

SUMMER '18
STAFF
ELITESJOCKSFRINGESCREATIVESDELINQUENTSNERDSLONERS
INFLUENCE
JOCKS ASSERT THEIR PRESENCE AT THE COUNTY FAIR!

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Shakespeare 101: Class #1, [open to registered students]
sailOffline4 POSTS
A young girl with eyes like the desert. It all seems like yesterday, not far away.
thirty seven
female
faculty
heterosexual
theatre teacher
Faculty
so we’ll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies, we’ll wear out in a walled prison packs and sects of great ones that ebb and flow by the moon.
It was a sunny afternoon. The sun was high and rays of positive light illuminated the world outside. Many of the students were on summer break, enjoying the beach, camping, or just generally enjoying the wonderful Wednesday sun.

Not these kids though.

Truth be told, Diana Lawson pitied them a little. Kids were meant to go outside and enjoy the sun, not to be held inside away from it. Thankfully, her summer class was only about an hour and a half long and she had faith in her students to hold it together for a little while. Nonetheless, the class was just about in session.

As Diana neared the classroom, she glanced over the names written on her class list, carefully repeating their names over and over in her head, hoping her French wasn't too rusty. A few names, she recognized. Quinn Harlow was one of the more popular kids at Ridgeview, but it was one of the French names that stood out to her: Olivia Boutroux. She couldn't quite place a finger on where she knew it from, but Diana was sure she'd heard the last name before.

Finally, she found herself opening the classroom door. After having been a teacher for so long, it wasn't very nervewracking to just jump into things. Some students might be inside the classroom already, some might be running late. Diana would leave the door open for any latecomers, though they would not be greeted as warmly as the students who had made a point of being on time.

She would immediately move to the far side of the room, opening the curtains to brighten up the place a little. The room itself had painted black walls and smooth wooden floors, slightly worn from use. There were no desks present, just the open space. It smelled a bit like socks, but that was the nature of drama classes, really.

"Good afternoon. If you haven't taken off your shoes, do so now. You can place them by the door and sit in a circle." Diana waited a few moments, carefully watching any students who obeyed. Once they had settled, she would begin with her introduction.

"My name is Ms. Lawson, I am the head of the theatre department at Ridgeview and hopefully you're all in Shakespeare 101 for the summer. I'd like to go around the circle here and do introductions for attendance, and after intros, I'd like you all to tell me what year you are in, as well as a "rose" and a "thorn." We'll do this every class, a rose is one good thing that has happened to you recently, and a thorn is one bad thing."

She would glance around the circle, relaxed yet welcoming. "Anyone can start."

Class #1
alice moreau, glenda coco-lee, Hayami Endo, justin kim, OLIVIA Boutroux, quinn harlow
Welcome to Shakespeare 101!

This course is available only for registered students. Registration is open at all times, so if you have not yet registered & want to participate, go do so now by clicking << here >>.

In this thread, Diana will be introducing the class to Shakespeare, how it is to be read, and then, at the end, will give the students a variety of monologues to choose from for next class. More details to come!

No posting order.

jawnOffline53 POSTS
Fear me, love me. Stand and stare at me. And these boobs are real
female
senior
het
online celeb
Elite
Why is she in this class again? Glenda is the president of the drama club. Shakespeare 101 should have been way beyond her at this point. But then, it's the very same reason she's registered for the class. It's an intro to drama, open to students from all cliques, all walks of life, all levels of talent. More often than not, those students who somehow land this class earn an epiphanic brainfart that they are good enough to be part of the drama club. Like they get into one basic drama class and they already think they're darn good enough to set their foot into her club that she kept sacred for a while.

Nuh-uh, no mercy and consideration for the talentless!

And so, she's here to create a bottleneck to such mentality. She's here to show who has real talent. She's here to put a stop to the unworthy aspirants.

Also, introductions. Oh, how she hates self-intros so much! She's well-known already. Her looks, poise, and attitude already speak for herself. Nevertheless, she stands up right away with crossed arms and does the honor of first blood.

"Tsk tsk, Diana... you still do this? Can't find any other summer jobs?", she mockingly asks her.

"Anyway, hi everyone!", she then greets, chin high. "Elite senior, Glenda Coco-Lee. President of the drama club."

She clears her throat and continues, "My rose—and my everyday one—is being me, since 17 years ago when my greedy mother conceived me with my rich daddy's help. I really can't help it but I am such a rose. My existence is a blessing." Then she interjects, "You're welcome, Diana", while she beams her fakest smile at her.

"Meanwhile, my thorn—or rather, thorns—are all of you talentless wannabes. I'll be wearing my tall Jimmy Choo's so I won't accidentally step on you and hurt my feet that fetishists would die for. It's nice to meet me."

She lets out one sigh of pride and relief, and sits down.

notes: omg pls dont kill glenda
CyberLanceOffline6 POSTS
Fourteen
Female
Freshman
Bisexual
Student/Musician
Creative

Olivia knew that she had no clue what she was doing in this class. She also knew that she had no place in here. Olivia knew nothing about acting, let alone Shakespeare. So what was she doing in here? Her grandmother signed her up for this class in hopes that she might make some friends and come out of her shell a little bit. The thought of getting up in front of everyone terrified her but she would try her best to make good impressions nonetheless. It wasn't just this class she was scared of though, it was school in general. She was a tiny girl with a pretty thick french accent... the perfect specimen for people to pick on.

When the teacher instructed her to take off her shoes she would do so quietly, looking at the floor as she placed them by the door. She returned to the circle and sat down and brought her knees up to her chest silently.

After the teacher introduced herself it was time for introductions. Perfect. In Olivia's mind this part of the class could go one of two ways: She would either royally embarrass herself OR she could flawlessly introduce herself. Probably the former. She chose not to go first for this reason.

The first girl to go was a girl that went by the name of Glenda. This girl was apparently the president of the drama club. What was she doing in this class? If she was president why would she opt to take Shakespeare 101 instead of enjoying her summer in the sun? She felt intimidated by Glenda since she had opened her mouth to speak and her introduction made her even more scary.

After Glenda was done Olivia glanced around for a second and decided that it was now or never. She gently put down her legs into a crisscross formation and stood up. She timidly looked around the room for a second and took a deep breath, letting it all go silently.

"H- Hello. M- My name is- My name is Olivia Boutroux. Freshman." She spoke lightly, staring at the ground when she spoke. She stopped talking for a few seconds, took another breath and continued. "The thorn... I mean the rose sorry. My rose is that I was able to come to this school after being home schooled my whole life. My Thorn... well I have realized I- Well, I don't know anyone."

She would finish her sentence then do a bow "I- It's very nice to meet you." she stated simply before taking her seat again in the circle, taking a deep breath when she was seated.

This was going to be a long class.

BY EDWARD OF OOC
noirOffline7 POSTS
had a dream i was a queen, woke up, still a queen.
male
senior
pansexual
model
Elite
super rich kids with nothing but loose ends
super rich kids with nothing but fake friends
All Quinn could fathom for poor Glenda was a very audible scoff. If Quinn could lend even a smidgen of concern for the girl, he might be a little bit saddened by how desperately she was trying to put herself out there (at least, that's what he was hearing when he entered the room). Whatever. He wasn't. There were bigger things at play than that. Quinn considered himself an astute thespian, enough that he probably already knew enough about Shakespeare, but he was still allured to the class. He wanted to meet some new people.

And so he came forward, leaving his Saint Laurent cashmere at the peg, his Kingsnakes at the door, to sit down with the rest of the group. Somebody was already introducing herself as she sat down: a freshman, so she said. The girl certainly looked like one, or at least bared the manner of one. Reserved, hesitant, even to the point that she seemed uncomfortable in her own seat. Quinn listened carefully, index finger trailing his chin, thinking of the many ways in how he could bring this girl out of her shell. In due time.

The girl, who he now knew as Olivia, finished her introduction. She seemed very polite, even bowing to the group, enough to arouse a little smile from Quinn as she sat back down. Now it was his turn to stand and introduce himself. But Quinn was perfectly comfortable in his seat, so there he remained, propped comfortably upon his chair like a queen on her throne. "Don't worry, Olivia. Not everybody here thinks their sh*t smells like perfume." Anyway, let's move back onto that big thing.

"It's nice to see you, Ms. Lawson." He exchanges a glance, and then returns it to the rest of the group. "I'm Quinn, and I'm in my senior year. It's nice to meet y'all, I guess. Hopefully we can get to know each other through this summer class, maybe hook up outside of class if we get acquainted enough. I'll let you find out my rose and thorns for yourself. One thing I can tell you though, is that I'm definitely not the worst person in the room." He smiled faintly, eyes gliding down to his nails to check them.

"That's me done."

bearOffline88 POSTS
we'll be looking for sunlight, we know that we're headstrong, and our heart's gone, and the timing's never right
female
sophomore
homosexual
thespian enthusiast
Creative
you get lighter the more it gets dark cause you're a sky full of stars
in alice’s opinion, you could never be past shakespeare. classics were classics for a reason, and that reason was that they were tales that endured from the 18th century till now, touching hearts and spirits with every fresh iteration.

so even if she’d already read her fair share of shakespearan works – she could always learn more. besides, what else was she going to do over the summer?

wiggling her feet against the wooden floor, alice sat in a cross-legged position, waiting patiently for everyone else to finish their introductions. haha – classic glenda, of course. oh jeez that girl was really committed to the bitchy diva act. alice was always impressed by how she stayed in character, like, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

and three-hundred and sixty-five days a year…

the next few students were a mix of hesitant and shy (maybe thinking taking a drama class would help them with that?) or confident, drama department regulars.

when it came to her, alice immediately sprung up, bright smile gracing her features. “wow, it’s so nice to meet you all! my name’s alice moreau, sophomore. my rose would be…” she pauses a little, but intentionally, as if she hasn’t already practiced this speech in her head. “getting to meet so many new friends, like olivia, or kevin!” she winks at the other girl and waves a bit to kevin.

alice giggles at the smiles that arise. “I guess my thorn would be, I’m a little nervous to be in a room with so many other talented people.” she plops down again. “or maybe that’s a rose in disguise?”

nickOffline40 POSTS
I don't care if it's all a lie, I'm with you for the night
male
senior
bisexual
heir
Jock

Yeee-yikes the people in this class. They were not of his kind. They were not of his clique. Justin doubted they were of even the same species. At least half these people had manicured nails. The others had those and them some. Why did he feel like he had stepped into a production of Totally Spies and he was the one stuck playing "Boyfriend No. 12"?

"Uh well," It was his turn. Lucky him, he was going after Miss Gigglefarts 2018. He would have preferred to follow Glenda Evanglista over there - at least he had been on that ride before. Or vice versa. Justin coughed again. Not only had he totally zoned out these past few minutes, but he was just now aware of the icy stares of the Bonnie Rockwallers and Chanel Oberlins. Justin loved beautiful girls - yes this was true. But these girls looked like they were out for blood. Was there even another guy? Wait - the fair haired one was a guy right? Maybe. Possibly. God those nails...

"Hey all. I'm Justin Kim. Hold for applause." Somehow his confidence had let him throw a wink over at glenda coco-lee. Wild ride indeed. "And um, I'm not that into horticulture." He grinned and ran his hand through his hair, parting it to the side - a sign he was both nervous and also about to whip out that infamous Kim charm. "I guess my rose would be the China Rose, because they're the most beautiful. Much like you ladies."

A smirk. A grin. Eye glances around the room. "And uh my thorn, well, I guess is that I can't date all of you. Ahaha! Might as well as go big right? "Alright, who's next?" As much as Justin loved talking about himself, he was extremely eager to get the sharing circle over with. With a coy smile he pointed to diana lawson. "Is it your turn? You're a student here right?"

Another smirk. Another grin. Another long stare at the fair haired blond. He was too pretty. Or she. No, definitely he. Just really pretty. With killer nails. At least competition was low here. Justin was the only candidate for Romeo with a classroom full of Juliets. Just stay away from sleep inducing poisons right?

all
PrinceofStrideOffline18 POSTS
This is gospel for the fallen ones. Locked away in permanent slumber
Seventeen
Female
Junior
Bicurious
Sweeper
Creative

this girl will bury you widowmaker

"SNAP!" Hayami sighed as her B2 shading pencil snapped onto her sketchbook. She would have to makeup for the missing of the pencil or sharpen it with her sharpener. But the sharpening of her pencil would cause a distraction so she decided to substitute the pencil for another shade and went back to work. She could always go over it later if she wanted or erase. Besides one downfall could lead to a victory in the art industry. She smiled at the thought and continued to shade in her self-portrait.

She promised to give it to her mom as soon as she was finished so she could show it off to one of her wealthy friends that her daughter was such a great artist, but Hayami could honestly could care less. Wealth wasn't very important to her, but she knew how much it was to some people. Which is why she would make sure no one knew of her family's wealth and that she was related to the elite Katashi Endo. Soon she heard the teacher go on about introductions. She stopped sketching to think for a bit and frown. She hated introductions, but she guess they were needed.

After ignoring half of the introductions due to being preoccupied with her sketch, she soon found it to be her turn. She stood up and brushed off her jeans as if dirt were on them, before speaking with a bright smile and determination in her eyes. "Hello peeps, I'm Hayami Endo, I'm a junior, and I'm the president of the Art Club!" She said, before tucking a stand of hair behind her ear. It's funny how she felt confident and determined at the beginning of her introduction but as she peered around her and saw how intense most of the stares were she began to get slightly nervous.

She twiddled her thumbs a bit, before continuing to speak. "A rose is that I'm hardworking and well do my best in partner projects-" Her smile and determined facial expression then turned into a glare. Anyone would know that glare if they knew her brother, but she couldn't help it. "If my partner puts in the same amount of effort.." She says in a deeper tone than her beginning friendly one. "My thorn is that I may forget your name a couple of times!" She says giggling as if the glare never happened in the first place. "Nice to meet you all!" She said, before bowing and sitting back down.

She then went back to sketching as if she never even gave her introduction the moment before. She hummed softly as she finished the sketch, before placing the artwork into her bag, finally deciding to give the teacher her full and undivided attention.

@Shakespeare101 Isn't she lovely?

autoOffline74 POSTS
you know that baby i... i'm your biggest fan, i'll follow you until you love me. papa-paparazzi!
female
sophomore
bicurious
amateur model
Creative
not a trace
of doubt on my mind
she was late. she was always late. ... well, maybe not always. that's kind of an exaggeration. but the point was that she was going to be one of the last people to arrive to class and all because of what? the fact that she was stalking some delinquent, hoping to catch a glimpse of him possibly rescuing a cat from a tree?

for someone who had yet to get cast as the protagonist in any play, ainsley definitely found herself thrown into dilemmas way too often. dilemmas similar to the ones faced by a typical protagonist, no less. was that good or bad luck, anyway? well, not that the realization was going to change her habits that easily.

it would seem that the round of self-introductions were coming to an end by the time she finally made it outside the class. and while ainsley had half the mind to throw open the door and burst into the room all heroically, some part of her deep down suggested otherwise. it was the first day of summer school, and she didn't necessarily want to get on the teacher's bad side. sure, she was kind of overdramatic sometimes, but to say that ainsley was eager for everybody's attention was also, on some levels, false.

and so, she lowered herself to the best of her abilities, and pushed her way into the room quietly. she stayed hidden behind the half-opened door, waiting for the next student to speak up about themselves. then, when they did, she proceeded to grab the nearest plant prop in hopes of using it as a second shield while she made her way across the back of the room. how she was ever going to make it into the group of students was unknown, but look, she was trying and that's all that mattered.

well, until she accidentally knocked the top of the fake plant into a box upon a shelf, anyway. of course, the box came crashing down next to ainsley and, on instinct, she pushed herself up on her feet in all of her 5'8" glory, "hello! hi! uhh, sorry i'm late," she squeaked at the drama teacher, tea-coloured eyes round as saucers, her heart thumping wildly in her chest. gaze darted briefly to a few familiar faces, to whom she quickly waved, "alice! glenda! hey!"

awkwardly, she turned to the fallen box and began to pick up the contents as she continued, "i'm ainsley. tyson. ainsley tyson?" she laughed, as if it would distract herself from the warmth in her own cheeks, "i'm a sophomore and i, uhm, ... what's the-" a pause, before she perked up again to smile sheepishly at diana, "oh! rose and thorn. right! my rose is like, tv tropes, i guess? can that be a rose? if not, then i'd say maybe glenda? she's like regina george from mean girls and i think she's totally fetch."

cue another wave at glenda, this time with a rubber chicken, "and my thorn is that i wasn't here on time, which probly isn't a very good first impression and... i'm like, still talking? so i should maybe? stop?" practically sweating at this point, ainsley pushed the rubber chicken into the box before half-crawling, half trotting (then eventually settling for scurrying while hunched over) across the room to join the rest of her classmates. then, once she was all settled, her gaze darted back up to meet with diana's; she broke into a smile that was hopefully as dazzling as the one she was picturing in her own head.

it wasn't.

NOTES : i'm sry about this wall of text whoops

❝ can i touch your spyglass? ❞
─ mitsuo williams @ eugene park, ft. ainsley's inner mind theatre
sailOffline4 POSTS
A young girl with eyes like the desert. It all seems like yesterday, not far away.
thirty seven
female
faculty
heterosexual
theatre teacher
Faculty
so we’ll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies, we’ll wear out in a walled prison packs and sects of great ones that ebb and flow by the moon.
“Tsk tsk, Diana…” It was all Diana could do not to let out a heavy sigh. As a teacher, she kept her mouth shut regarding the summer job comment. As a working adult, she internally shot back; At least I have a real job. Still, she had to admire that Glenda took charge. Many students were too nervous to step forward these days. Speaking of— Once Glenda was done, a freshman spoke up, naming herself as Olivia Boutroux. “I- It’s very nice to meet you.” “And you as well. Thank you, Olivia.” A bit of honest respect was kindled for the timid girl.

The latecomer who walked in next had the same inspiring initiative as Glenda, but a more respectful approach to it. Diana would nod as Quinn greeted her. As he continued on, she would jot down a little star beside his name on her attendance sheet.

Next was Alice who seemed relatively chipper. Unfortunately, a pang of guilt washed over Diana; She knew the type of person Alice was: She was the kind to complete every part of the class with satisfactory to excellent grades, but not require any feedback. Diana could only hope that Alice wouldn’t see the lack of feedback as a negative, but rather as a positive that she doesn’t need direction and that she could be trusted to create and perform with ease.

Following suit was Justin Kim. Once he had finished his rather interesting intro, Diana couldn’t help but notice a seemingly misplaced smile directed towards her after a prompt for her to go. Very subtly, she would tap her pencil just beside his name. She was sure she would need to note something for him… But not exactly what.

After him came another art student. Diana would whisper “Hayami…” under her breath as she memorized the pronunciation of the student’s name. She seemed sweet. As the president of the Art Club, Diana knew the Endo girl would do very well in the artistic representation project.

Finally, it came down to the last student present, Ainsley Tyson… Who had made a horrific half-assed attempt at hiding her tardiness. Diana would immediately write LATE beside her name. She couldn’t hate the girl, though… She also made a star beside the word LATE, for later reference, regarding something else.

“Just be on time next time.” Ignoring any shifty glances from Ainsley, Diana would pull a few papers out of her binder before shutting it. With a warm smile, she carefully made eye contact with all of her students as she spoke: “I’m Ms. Lawson, for any latecomers. I’d have to say my thorn for today is that they ran out of jello cups in the cafeteria for this week, and my rose is… That… I get to meet all of you. I look forward to seeing you all succeed in this class. It’s should not be difficult if you pay attention.

Without glancing up from her papers, Diana would also add on: “I can see you checking your phone, Glenda.”

Diana had established herself as the head of the circle earlier by pulling up a chair and sitting just slightly more elevated than the students, but it gave her a good aerial view. She didn’t care so much if they were focused on other things— Like Hayami with her sketchbook (sometimes students learned better while busying their hands, as long as they were still listening)— But she wasn’t a fan of cellphones in her class, not without good cause. If it was to look up lines and meaning of lines, fine. But for distractions? Not so much.

“Today we’ll be starting with the very basics of how to read Shakespeare as, near the end of this class, I’ll let you guys decide what short Shakespearean monologues you want to do for next class, which is the first solo monologue project. If you would like to meet with me during the week for direction, my office hours are 10 AM to 12:30 PM, Monday thru Friday.

To start, can I have two students give me a brief description of a Shakespearean play? It can be something you read in English class during the school year, or just something you’ve read or studied on your own.” She would ever so slightly raise an eyebrow at Glenda, who she would expect to know at least one Shakespearean play.

Class #1
ainsley tyson, alice moreau, glenda coco-lee, Hayami Endo, justin kim, OLIVIA Boutroux, quinn harlow
This course is available only for registered students. Registration is open at all times, so if you have not yet registered & want to participate, go do so now by clicking << here >>.

Only two students need to answer! One Shakespeare play per student.

There’s no requirement to post every time after Diana’s post, but if you’d like to write a small reaction post or make note of something your character is doing, you’re totally welcome to. Doesn’t have to be a big long post!

jawnOffline53 POSTS
Fear me, love me. Stand and stare at me. And these boobs are real
female
senior
het
online celeb
Elite
Though she believes her knowledge of Shakespeare is beyond basic, Glenda does not even remember half the shit about the famed man, other than his wife being named Anne Hathaway or that he was played by the very sexy Joseph Fiennes in his 1998 movie, Shakespeare in Love. Nevertheless, Glenda does not really intend to pay any attention to the class or to anyone, which she clearly expresses when she opens her phone as soon as she takes her seat. She immediately switches it to selfie mode as she vainly snaps tons of photos and boomerangs to kill time.

At some point, she hears Diana call her out but she ignores it and rather responds with a "make me" smile. She also hears her loyal Simon Peter-like disciple Ainsley Tyson get very Gretchen Wiener-ish as she comments how 'fetch' she is—to which she promptly responds through Whatsapp with a message containing a scowling selfie and a caption saying "Gosh, Ains! Stop trying to make fetch happen!" Soon after she sends it, she follows up with "But you're damn right, I'm a rose!"

By then, Diana starts asking the real questions and it seems she is motioning Glenda to take the first stab at it. Glenda finds it bothersome. She rolls her eyes to express her dismay but complies nonetheless.

"Who can even be unfamiliar with Romeo and Juliet, the biggest inspiration of one of Taylor Swift's number one hits? Like, it's really popular. Everybody knows the story of these two star-crossed lovers. People always make an allusion to this couple whenever they talk about young love." Her tone is a bit robotic in a moderately slow tempo, as though she is stalling for something—perhaps, she doesn't know the play at all. Truth is, she is still processing her answer, which explains her obscure response.

She continues—"It is so romantic, so sweet, so hopeful; it makes my heart wish for a Rom—" That moment, she finally recalls the tragic ending of the play.

She maneuvres her answer. "—romance that does not end in death" The rest of her memory of the play floods back to her conscious mind; so she comes up with these semi-final words as a summary: "And to sum it all up, it's the story of how Romeo couldn't keep his weenie calm, and that caused some family members, Juliet, and himself to push up daisies."

She then turns to the gentlemen in her class and continues, "—and that's the greatest lesson Shakespeare has ever told, as a warning to our marginally horndog brothers. Because hashtag feminism!" She forms the hashtag sign with a couple fingers from both hands before she takes her seat again.

None of that shit makes sense. As if she ever did.

bearOffline88 POSTS
we'll be looking for sunlight, we know that we're headstrong, and our heart's gone, and the timing's never right
female
sophomore
homosexual
thespian enthusiast
Creative
you get lighter the more it gets dark cause you're a sky full of stars
alice had to really struggle to stifle a giggle when her best friend came crashing through the door, unexpectedly yet unsurprisingly late. even though she’d spotted her as soon as ainsley had come sneaking in through the door, alice averted her eyes and tried politely to pay attention to the next girl speaking, hayami, but couldn’t help but sneak glances at the rather tall creative.

when of course her entrance failed to come unnoticed, alice laughed along with her other classmates at ainsley’s misfortune, but scooted over a little bit to make space for ainsley to plop down next to her.

alice patted her softly on the shoulder. “hey, nice entrance.” she whispered. look on the bright side: “it’s pretty hard to draw attention when you’re in a room full of theatre kids!”

maybe it would even help her with casting decisions for the next show?

when the circle finished up and diana once again took command of the room, alice scooted her feet in and stood up straighter, just raring to be the first to answer. the first question was easy – just describe a play – and alice’s hair immediately shot up in the air. ooh! ooh!

unfortunately, she shouldn’t have waited to be called on, it appeared, since glenda began to speak instead. alice wilts a little bit, but patiently keeps her hand up and listens to their president speak. it’s both hilarious and knowledgeable, of course. alice giggles.

as soon as glenda takes a seat, alice springs to her feet, practically vibrating. “oh, oh! I have another one!” she declares. macbeth, a true classic, it’s about a weak-willed man manipulated by his wife to seize the scottish throne, but descends into madness, and paranoia,” she punctuates each word with a clutch of the fist, sharp intake of breath, starry-eyes.

“it’s got witches, murders, knights and kings and ghosts,” alice sighs deeply, her eyes rolling back into her head and touching the back of her hand to her forehead. she crosses her legs and gracefully sits back down. “how romantic, the cursed play!”

nickOffline40 POSTS
I don't care if it's all a lie, I'm with you for the night
male
senior
bisexual
heir
Jock

Justin rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath. "MacBeth? More like MacBitch.

He returned to scouting out the room for potential dating partners silently. Some of these girls were out of the question. Justin liked blondes. Not everyone here was a blonde.

lol sorry quality interjection material
PrinceofStrideOffline18 POSTS
This is gospel for the fallen ones. Locked away in permanent slumber
Seventeen
Female
Junior
Bicurious
Sweeper
Creative

this girl will bury you widowmaker

Hayami couldn't help but quietly laugh at Glenda getting in trouble. Hey, there was always that one kid in every class wasn't there? She also laughed at the fact that the teacher's thorn was that they ran out of jello. She expected something more, I don't know... relevant to the class or subject but hey she wasn't mad. It meant that maybe this class wouldn't be so boring and have some slight humor to it. She sighed as she overheard that they were going to be given a solo monologue project. It wasn't bad, it was just the why so early factor. Then again it was summer school so you only get what you signed up for.

She also heard something about volunteers but zoned out afterwards because of two reasons. One she wasn't interested in volunteering, and two she had already began to think of what Shakespeare monologue she wanted to do. Maybe a bit from As You Like It Act Three Scene Five? Hm, maybe not. She'd have to discover what genre she wanted to do first. Suddenly her thinking was interrupted by the guy whose name was Justin Kim.

She rolled her eyes as she noticed a pencil on the ground and quickly picked it up and threw it at him. "Hey, we all know you don't want to be here but you don't gotta be quite a b- about it. Especially when some of us are trying to think or speak." She hissed. She didn't really curse unless she was in extreme pain or if she was extremely mad. Hm, normally she wouldn't bother to say such things, but something about him didn't go quite pleasant with her. She then silently prayed that she wouldn't be paired with him in the future.

justin kim, alice moreau, glenda coco-lee, diana lawson, ainsley tyson, quinn harlow, & OLIVIA Boutroux Isn't she lovely?

sailOffline4 POSTS
thirty seven
female
faculty
heterosexual
theatre teacher
Faculty
The eyebrow Diana had raised towards Glenda to start with had grown in height as she listened to the modern day recap of Romeo and Juliet that the student presented. Right up until about halfway through, Diana was entertaining the thought that… Maybe Glenda didn’t know Romeo and Juliet. But, once she was done, Diana gave her a tilted head nod out of approval. Good enough. Glenda was putting in effort, that was all that mattered.

“The ultimate message of Romeo and Juliet is up to personal opinion, but that’s quite the interesting perspective, Glenda. If anyone should need extra credit, they can write a short piece analyzing the themes of any Shakespearean play and hand it in.”

Then Alice stood up, describing Macbeth, the “Scottish Play,” as a true classic. Diana nodded along to her passionate recount of it, but kept her mouth closed as she heard two other students pipe up.

“Watch your language, Mr. Kim. And watch your tone, Hayami. There's no need to be best friends with your peers, but do try to be supportive and they will be supportive in return.”

With that, Diana brushed off the tension of the past few moments, placed her binder on the chair she’d been sitting on, and moved towards the small black board that was on the wall behind her. Honestly, it was more green than black. With a piece of white chalk, she etched the words;

“IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE, PLAY ON.”

She pointed to the letters on the board, giving an inviting glance around the circle. “This is the first line of Duke Orsino of Twelfth Night, as well as the first character line in the play. I’d like one student to read this out loud and count the syllables for me, as well as briefly relay to me what they believe the meaning of the line to be.”

Class #1
ainsley tyson, alice moreau, glenda coco-lee, Hayami Endo, justin kim, OLIVIA Boutroux, princess reyes-taylor, quinn harlow

Only one student needs to answer! If others would like to input discussion/etc, they are very welcome.

No post requirement otherwise!

noirOffline7 POSTS
had a dream i was a queen, woke up, still a queen.
male
senior
pansexual
model
Elite
super rich kids with nothing but loose ends
super rich kids with nothing but fake friends
For the most part, Quinn was pleased with the amount of people who had decided to show up to the class, as well as the manners which they carried with them. Of course, there were some exceptions, and there were already some clear clashes and collisions when it came to people interacting with one another: but as long as it wasn't Quinn who wasn't caught in the crossfire, then he wasn't all too concerned with how everybody else got along. Not unless they were his friends, anyway. Maybe he'd have something to say then.

Diana had everything under control, as expected, able to defuse the situation which had occurred quickly. She rose to the board, and wrote a line which was all too familiar to a thespian like Quinn. He raised his hand for permission to answer, but more so used it as a cue to immediately speak, disregarding any other potential answers. "I'll read it." Quinn cleared his throat, eyes swiping across the line. Ten syllables: da-dum, da-dum, da-dum, da-dum, da-dum. These lines were meant to be read rhythmically, like a beating heart. "Ten syllables."

And so Quinn read the line aloud, emphasis placed on each second syllable, rhythm of his words akin to that of a calm heartbeat. Iambic pentameter was a staple of many of Shakespeare's works, be it in his plays or his poems. "It's an example of iambic pentameter, right? And well, the line itself is a metaphor comparing music to something as vital as food.". His works were all down to interpretation. The man was not alive to project the purposes of his writings. "So in my opinion, the Duke is suggesting that music may be what can calm his desire for love, like food satisfying an empty stomach."

"Am I cheating if I talk about the rest of the play? Because Orsino, at this point in the narrative, is having troubles with courtsh-" He didn't want to talk too much, nor seem like a know it all. That wasn't the kind of rep he wanted to build. "Never mind, actually. I'll just drag it on if I keep going."

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll