MISFITS
a high school cliques rp
JUL
JULY UPDATES are here! read the updates & check out all the gossip at the ridgeview herald!

JUN
PUBLIC REOPENING is a go! welcome to misfits, for old members and new ones alike!

SUMMER '18
STAFF
ELITESJOCKSFRINGESCREATIVESDELINQUENTSNERDSLONERS
INFLUENCE
JOCKS ASSERT THEIR PRESENCE AT THE COUNTY FAIR!

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

fading out the spring, ft. sherry
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
settled into the glass half empty, made myself at home; just stopped believing in happy endings, harbors of my own
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

What chill did manage to descend on Peachtree didn't discourage its flora, whether by engineering or by the sheer vigor of the species planted. In the greenhouse, it might as well have been spring: the planters flourished in rows as always, coming up bright and vivid despite the grey clouds that scudded over the city every few days.

Flowers, by dint of a modernized world, did not disappear from the city in the winter. Some species were in particular demand, given the approaching festivities; as such, Felix found himself rather occupied this day, loading one of the delivery trucks with more poinsettias than he cared to think about.

Packing the red-leaved plants away wasn't an issue; though, looking at his delivery route, he made the faintest grimace before climbing into the cab. There were an understandably large number of shops requesting orders by this time of month. The drive across town was uneventful - though he found himself lingering at certain turns, finding the truck unwieldy, and when he arrived at the final stop the clock already read close to the end of the business day.

A glance into the back of the truck revealed a few crates and pallets of miscellaneous flowering species to be delivered, along with the requisite supply of seasonal species. Throwing the clipboard into the first crate of poinsettias, he hauled it up before tottering for the shop door, fumbling briefly for the handle before making it inside.

"Hello - delivery," he called, making the preemptive greeting out of habit as a bell jangled merrily overhead. Only then did he actually spot anyone in the room, catching sight of a head of short, light-colored hair behind the counter.

The crate slipped a little in his grasp and he readjusted his grip, looking faintly discomfited for a second as the contents rattled. "Where should I put these?"

ft. Sherry Belmont florists, away!
chimeOffline21 POSTS
Hold me close and hold me fast This magic spell you cast This is la vie en rose
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
She always found flowers beautiful. They were vibrant, with saturated hues of golds and yellows and reds and indigos. No two flowers were exactly alike, and that made them special. Their stems, their petals, their leaves; they all told a story of their growth, of how they survived through all kinds of adversity to grow and flourish. Their hardiness and perserverance to grow was something she admired greatly by them, but the thing she loved the most was the language they spoke.

It wasn't in English, or in Sign Language, or anything like that. It was something all their own. It was the feelings that they conveyed. When people bought flowers, they bought them with someone in mind, and to her that was the most wonderful thing about them, because no matter what the recipient understood the message loud and clear when they received those flowers. That's why she loved working at La Belle's Flowers so much. Sherry enjoyed arranging the flowers, helping the person convey their feelings with a beautiful bouquet or a vase, or even a wreath. She liked hearing about the people she was making the arrangements for, learning their stories, getting a sense of who they were and who the flowers were for. It was a chance for her to experience something more, be a part of something bigger as she finished up her junior year of high school.

Sherry especially loved working on arrangements for the holidays. There was something so grand about it, so personable. It left her feeling warm and fuzzy from her head to her toes at the end of the day, and hopeful that the arrangements she created made someone's day. With it drawing closer and closer to Christmas, she found herself creating more arrangements with the Yuletide in mind, bouquets and arrangements becoming arrays of deep reds and greens and whites. Her nimble fingers worked on a table arrangement piece in comfortable silence, not that she would know if there were any other noises around her. She had long turned off her hearing aids to concentrate. No sense in keeping them on when no one was around.

The quiet young woman was pulled out of her thoughts by a familiar paw stepping on her booted feet, alerting her that someone was here. She looked up from her arrangements, fingers reaching up to flip the switch on the back of one of her hearing aids behind her ears, soft colored eyes watching a fair haired teen bring in a grate of poinsettias her employer had purchased for the holiday season.

"--should I put these?"

His voice floated into her ear, a little disjointed. She must have missed his greeting and the beginning of his question. A soft, welcoming smile graced her lips as she flipped on the switch to her other ear, the sounds of the world finally coming into focus.

"Hello" she greeted warmly, signing the greeting as she went, a habit she's built up over the years. "And by the roses, please." The roses were closest to the back, in a dazzling array of colors. Having them that close to the back made it easier for her to reach them and watch for customers in the little corner mirror. "You must have had a lot of orders for these, I imagine. I do hope the end of your day is near."

She studied his face under her lashes, her fingers going to curl red, green, and white ribbons for the arrangement. He looked awfully familiar, but she couldn't quite place as to where she's seen him before. He had very soft, but regal, features, a face that she was sure to remember. Now if only she could do just that. There was an afterthought of hoping her pronunciation wasn't off in the back of her head, but it was quickly replaced by her curiosity and drive to recall where she had seen him.

felix florentiy
credits to xion of OOC
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
settled into the glass half empty, made myself at home; just stopped believing in happy endings, harbors of my own
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

When she lifted her head he hesitated, half sure he'd seen her somewhere before. The brief thought dissipated when she lifted a hand, setting slender fingers against her ear before affecting what he supposed was a small wave. "By the roses, please."

He offered a slight affirmative sound before turning, crossing the short distance to the indicated spot. Roses greeted him in turn, petals lush and multihued - he gave them a cursory glance, mind slipping into a habitual analysis, before crouching to set the poinsettias down.

At her softly spoken statement Felix glanced up, meeting her gaze with a neat glance into the corner mirror. "They're pretty popular, if you can imagine. This is my last delivery." Eyes flicking back down, he pulled the clipboard from the crate and flipped a few pages up, checking the listed order once more. "You have..." He exhaled slightly, in a facsimile of an amused sigh. "Two orders of tulips and some hydrangeas left." As far as the species themselves were concerned, seasons nearly didn't exist in Peachtree, and the ease with which their growing conditions were maintained never failed to intrigue him.

Making deliveries during the "off" seasons was therefore an interesting study of convenience, though his train of thought halted when he glanced toward the counter again. The familiarity of the employee's face still tugged at his attention, and when he realized he was staring he jerked himself away with a hurried, "I'll - go get them. From the truck."

He managed a final-sounding and eloquent "Uh," before escaping, staying with his head pressed against the inside of the truck for a minute.

When he eventually reappeared, he had a bucket of cut tulips in each hand and a carefully wrapped bunch of hydrangeas tucked under one arm. He also, it seemed, had recovered a measure of calm, crossing to the back to set the rest of the order down. "You're a Ridgeview student, right?"

ft. Sherry Belmont he's trying.
bearOffline554 POSTS
i miss missing you now and then
female
code skool
cute things
forest guardian
Administrator
it was only the utmost of urgency that came with the ending of the month did the candy-cane-costume-clad student volunteer had ventured outside ridgeview grounds. how did they manage to find one felix florentiy, on a delivery route, in downtown peachtree? suspension of disbelief.

the girl peeked behind the truck, scanning the two before determining she had found the right person. then, she marched forward and held out a hand-written note and a small bag of candy to the blonde boy, before disappearing almost as quickly as she had appeared. "candygram delivery!"

To: Felix Florentiy
Note: Good luck on your SATs. Merry Christmas if you celebrate it.
Signed: Kerina Chevalier
chimeOffline21 POSTS
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
Oh yes, she could definitely imagine how popular the poinsettias were during this time of year. They were hardy plants and served as a warm but vibrant centerpiece on a dining room. Her mother thought the plants outdated and tacky, and yet she still got them every year. Tradition, after all. They sat on the two small tables on each side of the grand staircase, and on intervals of the flower stands in between doors. She smelled their fragrant leaves every time she entered her home in the evening.

Sherry quirked her lips into a smile, happy to hear that this was the end of his work day. It was getting dark out, and it was getting chilly, well, as chilly as Peachtree, California could get. He no doubt wanted to go home and simply rest. She would, too, after she finished her last minute clean-ups and counts. The young florist wrapped the ribbons expertly around the centerpiece as he worked, taking care to make sure the blended fabrics sat just so, overlapping each other just enough to be pleasing to the eye. She heard him move about, a soft, awkward noise escaping his lips that made her chuckle a bit. He seemed shy. It was very charming.

While he gathered that last of the order, Sherry placed the arrangement in the back where it would be safe and wouldn't wilt and returned to the front just as he entered once more with the tulips and hydrangeas. His previous uncertainty seemed to have disappeared and with it a feeling of resoluteness. Her head tilted to the side quizzically as he set the order down, still wondering where she had seen him before. And then it hit her at his remark.

"You're a Ridgeview student, right?"

Sherry's eyes lit up and she nodded, hooking some of her unruly tresses behind her ear. Butter sat by her legs, watching and listening, his pudge body leaning heavily against her, a comfortable weight.

"Why yes, I do. I'm a Junior. You must go to school there too, yes? " A good-natured giggle left her lips. "I was wondering why you looked so familiar. " Her words were cut off for a moment, watching a girl come through, deliver the boy a candygram, and depart. How on earth did she find him?? Her head tilted once more for a moment, another habit born of watching and mimicking for many years.

felix florentiy
credits to xion of OOC
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

The hydrangeas slid rebelliously from their spot and he stooped, catching the bundle with a crinkle of plastic before sliding it carefully into one of the buckets. The encroaching holidays called for certain floral colors, resulting in a heightened volume of orders from the greenhouse; the tulips he'd brought were all red, velvety buds still not quite opened, making the white of the hydrangeas stand out all the brighter.

He had stepped toward the counter when she nodded, short hair fluttering with the movement. He returned the gesture, albeit in a more curt manner and while tapping himself on the chest with a finger. "Senior. Felix." His curiosity as to her identity, at least, was not unique, as she seemed to have experienced the same familiarity. Not being in the same year would explain his lack of a more immediate reaction, though he was still sure he'd seen her in the halls after classes a few times. "You do-,"

The door swung open with a bright jingle of bells, and he turned in time to see a candy cane with legs tottering toward him. "Hhhuh." The bag landed in his hands more out of chance than anything, though by the time he'd blinked and readjusted his grip on the present the costumed student had disappeared into the ether. "... Thanks?"

A glance at the note caused raised eyebrows and a small, bewildered sigh, before he tucked the package away. "How did she even..." Shaking thoughts of the wandering candygram deliverer away, he glanced aside and finally caught sight of the dog sitting at the other student's feet. "Oh." Fingers twitching slightly with the urge to pet, he leaned gently over the counter to offer a faint smile, eyes sparking with a more animated interest. "Hi, buddy."

He looked up at the florist with the same smile, though he drew back slightly at realizing he'd entered her personal space a little. "Your assistant?"

ft. Sherry Belmont HI DOGGY
chimeOffline21 POSTS
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
She waited patiently for the candygram girl to come and go, and listened to the flower deliverer, Felix. She smiled, filing his name away in her mind, hoping that she wouldn't forget. He was Felix, and he was a Senior, which would explain why he was only familiar at this point. He seemed very nice, and she wouldn't mind talking to him more.

Her eyes followed his movements and he saw his face light up when he saw Butter, causing her smile to widen. He leaned over the counter to greet her dog and she couldn't help but giggle softly when he grew a little flustered.

"Yes. His name is Butter. He's my ears when I forget mine" she replied amicably, crouching down to give him a good scratch behind his ear fondly. "And I'm Sherry. I nearly forgot to tell you, my apologies. I'm a Junior." She stood once more and brushed off the apron she wore, feeling Butter lean against her legs once more.

In hindsight he probably didn't understand what she meant by forgetting her ears. Not many people outright knew that she couldn't hear, and only found out when they snuck up on her or she told them. Sherry never made it a habit to bemoan her disability, or gain attention for it. It was just a part of her, and came out in the conversation easily. If he had questions, she wouldn't mind answering them. It's not like she was hiding it, and informing others and educating them on hearing disabilities was something she liked to do.

felix florentiy
credits to xion of OOC
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

"Cute," he supplied almost by instinct, leaning gently on the counter as she bent to distribute scratches. At less than half the size of Felix's dog, Butter more than fit the bill, tail sweeping amicably along the floor as he received some deserved attention.

He adjusted his grip on his clipboard absentmindedly, gaze drifting from the pup as he mulled over her words. Forgetting one's ears was certainly an odd turn of phrase, though - he straightened slightly, recalling on little more than a hunch the precision of her wave earlier.

"You, ah." Deducing the meaning sat far from communicating it nicely, and he ran through a few wordings in the split second before he spoke again. "Your ears - you have a hearing deficiency?" Straightforward was the way, after all. From her demeanor, Sherry didn't seem the type to incense easily, in any regard.

It did imply that Butter was a service dog, though, which made him rather ineligible for unsolicited head scratches. He sat on the other side of the counter at a rather low height as well, which left Felix sadly bereft of an opportunity to begin with; he restrained himself for the moment, instead lifting the clipboard and turning it to face Sherry before setting it on the counter. "Before I forget, can I get your signature on the order here?" The records he'd return later, seeing as his shift was technically over; all that remained was to return the truck and log his route accordingly, given he kept the right time stamps in mind.

To that end he glanced quickly at the shop's clock, noting with faint humor how the face was decorated entirely with painted flowers. "You take your flower art seriously here, huh." The arrangement in progress nearby caught his eye next, deep green leaves contrasting with a spray of holiday-appropriate colors. "You still have the anthers on those lilies?"

He realized his slip a second later, wry smile flitting over his otherwise placid face. "Sorry." If there was any place he was to launch unprovoked into the virtues and errors of plant physiology, it was likely not in a flower shop.

ft. Sherry Belmont doggo butter appeared!
▷ pet ▷ praise
▷ play ► get distracted by plants

chimeOffline21 POSTS
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
He caught on faster than she expected, and at his statement she nodded, not at all perturbed by the way he worded it. She's heard more blunt ways. And besides, it never really bothered her anymore. No sense in denying what was painfully obvious when one paid attention to her mannerisms. He placed the clipboard in front of her, and Sherry went about poring over the order carefully.

"I do. I lost my hearing when I was ten years old. It's not all bad, and the hearing aids, as well as Butter, help a lot" she replied, calm and composed and unperturbed. Sherry had long since gotten over the initial trauma. "It's given me a chance to learn new ways to communicate, and pay attention to things with more than just my hearing." Nothing that everything was in order, she signed her name in an elegant, cursive script, all curling swirls and soft letters.

Placing the pen neatly underneath the clip, she slid it back towards Felix, feeling Butter shift by her feet, probably scenting the air. He was such a good, quiet dog. Unlike his sister, Toast, who loved to get in trouble and was very vocal for someone her size. Sherry noticed his line of sight and smiled brightly, nodding at his words.

"I do. I love making the arrangements. It gives me a sense of how a person is feeling for another, or the feeling they're trying to emulate in flower language. Not to mention it's rather soothing" she explained, stroking one of the petals with feather-light touches. "I know it's strange, considering what the anthers do, but it's purely an aesthetic choice." She let out a soft laugh. "The yellow is a nice pop of color against the holiday colors. It's not too apparant, but makes the whole piece a little brighter. "

The junior wrote something down in her notebook, recording down the flowers, how many she used, the holder she used and the little extra costs to each items so the customer could be rung in correctly when they came for the arrangement.

"It's quite alright. Not a lot of people question the anthers anyways. " Shutting the book she placed it in a drawer under the counter and gave the boy her undivided attention. "Do you like flowers a lot? I mean, you have to a little, yes? Considering your profession. I've never had a deliverer so interested in the flowers though. It's a nice change of pace."

felix florentiy
credits to xion of OOC
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

Her explanation rang simple and true, and he nodded once, eyes following the motion of her hand while she wrote. "Signing, right?" At her mention of other means of communication, he glanced up to mimic the wave-like motion she'd made upon his entry, albeit more loosely since he didn't have exact knowledge of the sign. "I've lost my voice a few times. Being able to reliably converse with others in sign would have been helpful, in retrospect."

He found himself oddly talkative and accepted the clipboard back with a mumble, retrieving his pen so he could fill in some parts of the sheet. Most of the deliveries he'd made earlier had been to shops through their service entrances, to silent backrooms or darkened storage units. Meeting a schoolmate on his route was uncommon, to say the least, never mind one with a dog.

He was a very good dog, though. Another glimpse of the pup revealed curling fur and a curious, upraised nose, prompting a rather typical question from Felix. "He's a mixed breed?" Whatever his pedigree, he was incredibly behaved, in contrast to Baron who shoved his way lovingly into anyone's business. The shepherd, at least, knew when to be gentle, which had endeared him to Felix in the first place.

He signed his own part of the form in a thin, efficient script, before slipping the pen back under the clip and laying the board flat. "You do sound suited to your job." He could say the same for himself, given the clinical economy that went into greenhouse maintenance and plant breeding. His fascination for them aside, the artistic appeal of flowers didn't often resonate with him; though, standing in a shop crowded with intricate arrangements, he did at least feel that he... should have been feeling something.

"I just... study them." Lifting a shoulder and dropping it as fast, he let his gaze drift to the lilies again. "Physiology and development, so forth. Working at a greenhouse is practical experience, at least."

"Anthers, for example-," he paused minutely, before tucking his hands pointedly under his elbows and leaning them on the counter. "Do you have a lily you're not using? I don't want to wreck your arrangement." He didn't dare, more like. It was nice enough that she seemed willing to indulge him, even momentarily; the last thing on his mind was to damage something she'd evidently worked hard on.

ft. Sherry Belmont next stop NERD STATION

chimeOffline21 POSTS
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
Ahh, so he studied plants. That explained why he was so interested in the appearance of the anthers. She had never met a person her age who liked to study plants. Honestly, she found it amazing. A lot went into plant physiology, and to have such an intimate knowledge of them could help him in the long run. And it was a little funny, really, having two people who focused on different aspects of flowers in the same vicinity. But it was also kind of exciting.

Sherry loved learning new things, and it felt like Felix had a reservoir of knowledge pertaining to flowers. Her gaze traveled to his hands as they scribbled away at the form, making himself comfortable by leaning on the counter. Her head tilted to the side at all his questions and she smiled, nodding. Turning, the junior headed over to her section of lilies, looking for the perfect one as she answered some of his questions.

"I have plenty, no need to worry. As for your earlier question, Butter is a mix of corgi and poodle. I found him and his sister, Toast, at a shelter a couple years ago. Butter became my service dog, and Toast the family dog, since she's a little more rascally than her brother" she laughed, tucking her sweater dress in as she crouched down to inspect the lilies, fingers fluttering over soft petals, the colors flitting through her vision. They were all so pretty, but she wanted to choose a perfect, even if he was going to use it for a demonstration of his knowledge. "I think that's lovely, by the way. There's so many different ways you can study flowers. It's good to understand the physiology and development, otherwise we wouldn't know how to keep them growing, right?" She turned to flash him a warm smile, finally choosing the perfect one: a peruvian lily, meaning 'friendship'. She did hope that she could be his friend, but only time would tell.

Sherry stood and headed back over to the counter, Butter watching her movements as she held out the vibrant flower to Felix. "I find Peruvian Lilies to be quite lovely, especially the more vibrant ones." Her free hand spelled out the word 'Lilies' as she went, an unconscious gesture.

felix florentiy
Notes: I'M SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT -SCREECHES-
credits to xion of OOC
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

Perhaps true to her job, she acquiesced quite easily, stepping aside and brushing a hand over lilies in waiting. He gave Butter an ancillary glance as he waited - the dog glanced back, tongue lolling slightly, and the senior dragged his attention away in time to hear the latter end of Sherry's words.

"Toast..." It was almost inaudible, the way he muttered the second dog's name in near awe. He'd thought himself neutral on how pets were named, but suddenly Sherry's conventions seemed the best thing since... well, since sliced bread. "It's cool you got them both and didn't split them up."

Ever the methodical one, he spared a second to count the number of bins in the section the florist was perusing, eyes flitting between dark leaves with decidedly non-aesthetic questions budding behind them. "That's... true," he offered quietly, lingering on the natural arrangement of a particular lily's leaves. "Admittedly, the biological perspective is more often the one that just interests me more." Hence his feeling unmoored in the cheerful little shop, even in spite of being surrounded by greenery.

Sherry straightened and Felix blinked inconspicuously back into awareness, meeting her sincere smile with a quick twitch of his lips. "I kill a lot more plants than I keep, to be honest." Always for a purpose, of course, as preserving a specimen quickly made more sense than accumulating an unwieldy, live collection. He let the matter drop, though, extending a hand for the chosen lily and taking it with the slightest brush of fingers. "Thanks."

Predictably, any meaning ascribed to the vivid blossom sailed over his head, leaving him to prop an elbow on the counter and peel an outer sepal away with a practiced motion. "So you see the anther here is missing-," a tap of his nail indicated the correct one, the delicate filament ending in a tip without pollen. "That's what I tend to think of, when it comes to floral arrangements. We've had customers specify they want the anthers bred out of our lilies, since the pollen stains pretty easily." In a rare joke he glanced up, expression turning rueful. "Not great for dates or sentimental moments, you can imagine."

ft. Sherry Belmont lectures are how you make friends right

chimeOffline21 POSTS
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
Her head bobbed slightly, nodding at his statement of keeping the two together. When she found the two puppies huddled together in the same kennel, their fluffy little coats making it nearly impossible to tell where one dog ended and the other began, she knew she had to take both of them. Especially when she entered the kennel and their little heads popped up, nub tails wagging their entire hind quarters. Her heart melted on the spot and she knew that the two puppies would be going home with her that day. Naturally, her parents had agreed, and that's how she got Butter and Toast, though it wasn't later until they realized that Butter was very attentive to Sherry, and thought to put it to good use by making him her service dog. Now Butter went everywhere with her, including to her job at the cute little flower shop not far from the school.

Sherry turned to Felix, keeping her attention to him as he explained why he preferred the biological aspect of the plants. A giggle ran through her at the mention of his black thumb.

"Keeping flowers is definitely not easy" she mused gently, resting her hands atop one another, incredibly interested in what he wanted to show her. It didn't take her long to realize he had no clue what that lily meant, but that was okay. He didn't need to know. It was more of a reminder to herself, that maybe Felix would be friend. She didn't have many people she could honestly say were her friends, and as much as it pained her, she understand the reasons. Still, it would be nice to be friends with Felix, who's love of flowers stemmed from the opposing side of the spectrum.

Breaking herself away from her thoughts, Sherry listened in rapt attention as his nimble fingers peeled an outer sepal away for his mini-lesson. Eyes wide in wonder, she nodded in understanding. That made a lot of sense, though it was still a tad silly to have such a pretty color, no matter if it held pollen or not, bred out of a lily. She laughed at his last statement, finding his expression comically adorable.

"Oh yes, I can imagine" she giggled, bringing up her hand to rest her cheek on her open palm. "Yellow stains and possible allergic reactions are rather frowned upon. Lilies look pretty with or without the anthers, in my opinion at least. It's a shame that customers ask for such a natural part of a Lily to be bred out of them. Though I find it rather amazing that it can be done. Genetics are amazing." Her words were filled with slight awe and wonder. Sure, she did a good amount of chemistry when it came to hydrangeas to change their color, but she had never gone that far. She wondered, briefly, how it was done, before dismissing that thought. It would do her no good. With her luck she'd make a mess of everything. "Thankfully the only arrangements I keep the anthers on for are centerpieces, and if a customer asks. The pop of cheery yellow is a rather nice touch to any arrangement."

Pausing for a moment, she let a question float to her mind and spoke it, the question deemed innocent enough. And it was, because even if he was a scientist at heart, there would always be a specific genus or species that he would want to study, yes? That would mean a favorite flower. "Are there any specific flowers that you like to study more? Or, rather, are more interesting to pick apart?"

felix florentiy
Notes: Look at these two plant nerds, nerding it out. Plant Buddies.
credits to xion of OOC
FLOSSOffline87 POSTS
EIGHTEEN
MALE
SENIOR
PANROMANTIC
GREENHOUSE TECH
Nerd

"I think it's a fairly simple change," he said mildly, turning the flower (minus one sepal) around in his fingers. "Something about the absence of pollen and a longer lifespan for the flower." Cut flowers were functionally only a short time away from death, after all, and several trenches in the greenhouse were dedicated to cultivating longer-lived plants.

All his experience was self-sourced, though, and genetics fell far from his capabilities. He listened instead as Sherry gave her input, humming softly at the thought of a florist's perspective. "Some breeders are definitely out to make visually attractive variants. I think there was an iris show over at the garden center, earlier this year." He referred in passing to one of the larger botanical exhibits and sale centers in Peachtree, situated somewhere in a more picturesque part of the downtown area.

He hadn't gone, but news had reached the greenhouse anyway and he'd looked over the list of competing variants with vague interest. Similarly, he wondered idly now if Sherry had known about it, or even gone herself. Perhaps he assumed too much from her job, but she seemed to like flowers enough to enjoy such an exhibition.

On the other hand, he thought of liking flowers so little that her question caught him slightly off guard. "Um." Guilt of all things flickered through him, as if as someone professing to study plants he was required to have such trivia on hand. "I... work with what I can get, really." Dissatisfied with his own answer, he glanced aside, feeling his expression furrow slightly. "I haven't had much time lately to go looking."

But come to think of it, there had been this year's summer, when in between shifts he'd wandered farther out, seeking more in literature and in person. A weekend or two spent in an equipped laboratory, his hands on the dial of a microsope he hadn't the funds to own himself-

He looked back at Sherry more clearly this time, surer in recollection. "Asters, maybe. Not the - the common name. I mean - Asteraceae, the entire family." Tangled somewhat in the conflict between technical and casual speech, he pointed gently past her at a bucket of sunflowers, bright yellow. "Their floral morphology is... interesting, to say the least."

ft. Sherry Belmont they'd make really good flower trivia show cohosts tbh

chimeOffline21 POSTS
Female
junior
bisexual
florist
Members
Her nods again,enraptured by this new information, soft curls brushing against her cheeks. She didn't know much about the scientific side of plants, but she supposed it would be easy for horticulturists to play with genetics. Sherry loved all flowers, sepals or not, and enjoyed working with them. She had never really thought about the scientific side of them until today.

At the mention of the iris exhibit, her features lit up. "Yes, I attended the Iris Show. Mother is very interested in flowers, and loves to learn about new ones. She often says they're her greatest inspiration when she does interior decorating, and so she brought me along. We both help take care of the greenhouse in our yard. They were lovely." She sighs wistfully, remembering the beautiful blooms with clarity. Her mother was so taken by them that she wanted to purchase seeds, though they were very unavailable at the time. It was a pity. Both mother and daughter would have loved growing those beautiful Irises.

Her fingers curled through her hair pushing stray strands back in place as she listened intently, shifting her weight from one leg to the other. Butter watched her, made a soft huffing noise and settled back down, content that she wasn't planning on moving anywhere quite yet. Sherry followed his fingers to the cheery sunflowers kept in their own special pots, flowers to bring home and plant. She couldn't help but admire the petals and its warm center. Sunflowers were her favorite summer flower. It took her a moment to remember the flowers included in the Asteraceae family, but when she did she nodded in understanding. "They're different, that's for sure. I always wondered why sunflowers had their seeds like that in the very center, and so large too. We have rather large ones in the greenhouse. The take up the entire back wall" she mused.

"Did you know Sunflowers are usually given to spouses on their third anniversary? They represent warmth and happiness, and convey adoration and longevity. Not to mention they are the state flower of Kansas."

felix florentiy
Notes: Yesssss. Felix does all the science stuff and she does the meanings and generally makes things more interesting sounding!
credits to xion of OOC
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll