MISFITS
a high school cliques rp
JUL
JULY UPDATES are here! read the updates & check out all the gossip at the ridgeview herald!

JUN
PUBLIC REOPENING is a go! welcome to misfits, for old members and new ones alike!

SUMMER '18
STAFF
ELITESJOCKSFRINGESCREATIVESDELINQUENTSNERDSLONERS
INFLUENCE
JOCKS ASSERT THEIR PRESENCE AT THE COUNTY FAIR!

lock
New Poll

Nerd, Absinthe Yu, Female, Junior, Played by Corylin
CorylinOffline5 POSTS
We live, we love, we lie.
Female
Junior
???
Human Calculator
Nerd
NICKNAME None to be spoken of AGE Sixteen YEAR Junior GENDER Female SEXUALITY Straight (maybe) CLIQUE Nerd OCCUPATION Human Calculator
ABSINTHE YU
PLAYED BY CORYLIN // SHE/HER // ORIGINAL ART, ORIGINAL ART
★ “We live, we love, we lie”
I was a quiet baby. I cried at night, but only occasionally. I wasn’t particularly needy nor was I picky about much. According to my parents, or now just a parent, I was a wonderful baby. I didn’t make much trouble for them. The caretaker was around whenever I was awake, or at least as much as I can remember. I didn’t really ask for affection, likely because they were always gone.
I don’t know how they had another child when they were usually on opposite sides of the globe, but somehow Trinity came to be. I was almost three, and she arrived swaddled in a fluffy pink blanket. She cried and wailed, and couldn’t seem to do anything right. She’d try to walk, fall on her bottom, then wake the house with her fire-siren volume wail. I hated her with a burning passion, although now I understand that I was an unnatural baby and Trinity was acting how most children did. At daycare, I would read books on my own while the other children had tea parties and made dinosaurs. Trinity roamed the room on all fours, giggling and speaking baby talk all the while. My peers all cooed over Trinity, while I was treated as some sort of ghost. I wasn’t quite ignored, no, I was openly avoided. Not that I minded.
But somehow during elementary school, I found a friend. My anti-social-ness didn’t go away with age, rather, it ballooned and enveloped me in an anti-social bubble. It seemed that my mere presence repelled others. My tablemates always scooched all the way to the edge of the table, as far away from me as possible. I was picked last, if ever, during PE. My teacher tried to get me to socialize, but after turning down her efforts with a quizzical look, it seemed that even she had given up on me. During recess, people avoided me like the plague. That is, all except for the occasional brave soul who would throw sand into my hair or tease me from afar. Since the library was also an option, I opted to hide out there instead of the playground, earning me some nonplussed looks from the lady who ushered us outside. I sat between the shelves and read the books in order, until the librarian found me and led me to a table. The tables were far from the shelves, so I'd always take a nice stack of books and immerse myself in Henry and Mudge or Poppleton. But the library only had a limited amount of those books, so once I ran out I asked the librarian for recommendations. As my luck would have it, the day I asked, the substitute librarian was there instead and he referred me to the boy that read comics on the other side of the tables, who’s name was Rayne. Instead of telling me what to read, we ended up having an argument about which superhero was the best, which resulted with tears on both sides and a ban from the library for a week. We somehow became fast friends afterwards.
In all honesty, finding a friend was all a coincidence. A series of lucky events. And seeing my luck, it’s no surprise that I didn’t really develop any friends afterwards. Trinity, being the smiley sunshiny character that she was, had no problem. After my room had been invaded and quite nearly flipped upside down by a horde of sparkly pink kindergarteners, I convinced my work-obsessed mother to install a lock on my door and saved up for a set of noise-cancelling headphones in case Trinity brought another mob of humanoid cacophonies. I’d rather stay in Bedlam with serial killers than hear another horrible rendition of Let it Go. Trinity whined that I was being a “weirdo” and nobody liked weirdos, apparently, but that suited me just fine. If I was a weirdo, that just meant she was the sister of a weirdo. Back at school, my fellow classmates were now mature enough to stay in their seat when they sat beside me, but nobody even tried to talk to me. The most recognition I got was during math, when they split all of the third grade class into different groups based on skill level and I went around the room twice in Math Facts Around the World with the “smartest” group and I received a grudging murmur of approval. Although, they only applauded after Rayne began clapping and he might have known how to hypnotize a group of people, so I don’t know if that really counts… Fourth grade passed in a similar fashion, as I mostly kept to myself and only really stood out as the only mainstay besides Rayne in the “advanced” math group. We mostly kept to ourselves, and it’s not like anyone else really wanted to sit and read when they could be playing tag.
Life then seemed idyllic. However boring and repetitive the days were, at least I could count on them. I knew what would happen, and I was just fine with that. A couple days after summer started, Rayne left. This was not a big problem, since he was only leaving for two weeks to explore the Alaskan coast. What happened afterwards was somewhat like the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Completely unexpected, and it caused awful damage. About three days into Rayne’s trip, my parents decided that it was a great time to tell us that they were now divorced. Looking back, I realized that the period of icy silence they had at the time was longer and colder than most that they had after arguments, and suddenly seeming happier wasn’t typically a good sign. Trinity froze as the reality came crashing down on her, but once they announced that we’d both stay with our mother since our father didn’t want to see us again she started bawling and then clung onto him saying that she didn’t want anyone to leave. I think I pulled her off him, and after shooting a glare at him for abandoning us, I walked her to her room and began to read Alice in Wonderland to her until her sniffles diminished. Once I finished, she pulled out her phone and began to text people. I had forgotten that she had a myriad of friends to support her. I didn’t really want to trouble Rayne with the day’s events, so I slid my headphones on and laid down on my bed. After he left, my mother became engrossed in her work. The way she worked before had nothing on her now. She was rarely home when we were awake, even when Trinity set alarms for each hour through the night. Even worse, we now went to separate schools. I got up earlier than her by an hour to catch the school bus, and set a couple new alarms on her phone in case she overslept. Her breakfast would be sitting on the table, probably a little cold by the time she got up, but it was breakfast all the same. Being an elementary schooler, her backpack was largely empty, I just needed to pack her lunch and put it beside her seat at the table. Rayne didn’t quite know how to comfort me, so for the first couple of weeks we stood in awkward silence as we waited for the bus. We gradually got over the awkwardness of the sudden change, and I was glad for it. My life adjusted and eventually a house devoid of parents became the norm. I couldn’t attend any birthday parties where the whole class was pity-invited, nor could I help tutor someone after school, since Trinity couldn’t deal with loneliness. The last time I left her on her own, I found her crying and in a blanket burrito on her bed. The gossip that I heard whispered in the halls didn’t really bother me, seeing as I didn’t know half of the people mentioned. Occasionally I’d hear mutters about how I was a “weirdo”, or how they didn’t know how Rayne could deal with me. For some reason, they’d all shut up once I walked past. I didn’t quite understand. If one was going to badmouth someone, do it to their face. It’s not like I could have done anything to them anyway. I spent all my free time at school doing homework so I had time to help Trinity, seeing as she was somewhat mathematically incompetent despite her artistry. If I were to react to them, I would get in trouble and I couldn’t afford that. My mother was somewhat like the money-provider. I suspect she didn’t want us either because we reminded her of her ex, but she didn’t feel like dropping us off at an orphanage anytime soon. It would “dirty the name”, or something like that. We lived in constant fear that the fridge would stop magically restocking itself if we did something bad, like bringing friends home or getting anything less than an A. Of course, it never happened, but we children were paranoid.
School was pretty easy for me. I never needed to stay up late unless I forgot to do some presentation or write an essay, but even those that I wrote up within an hour never failed to get good grades. As I entered eighth grade, Trinity began sixth. We rode the bus together, and she’d fall asleep on my shoulder while I listened to EDM on my headphones. She’d get an extra hour of sleep while I stared out the window at the same scenery I’d seen for two years. Rayne didn’t seem to mind that his spot had been taken by my little sister. He understood that family was more important to me. After shaking Trinity awake and giving her a minor interrogation concerning schoolwork, she ran off to join a group of chattering girls while Rayne and I walked to Geometry. We had seats right next to each other, and while the other students filed in we would talk about the day before, whatever popped into our minds, and life in general. Occasionally, we’d have heated conversations about strange topics, like the plural form of platypus (It turned out the correct Greek plural was “platypodes”. We had a tacit agreement to stick to platypuses afterwards.) Geometry came easily to us, but many of our peers struggled to comprehend the topic, as it wasn’t a straightforward as Algebra 1 had been. We were silently regarded as the geniuses of the class, and when they couldn’t figure things out they would ask us for help. Otherwise, we were considered unapproachable and mostly left alone. The rest of my classes were similar. Although I tried to talk to other people, it didn’t quite work out. I’d try to work up the gut to talk to them, and once they turned to look at me, I’d pretend I was staring into space, or conveniently stare at the clock. I found a solution in my headphones. If I slid them on, then I didn’t feel as compelled to attempt making small talk. I started wearing them whenever I could. I wore them through lunch and homeroom, and whenever I was allowed to in class. Rayne raised an eyebrow at me the first time he saw me leaving class with my headphones on, but it didn’t elicit any other reaction. Trinity, however, took one look at me and gasped, ran towards me, and asked me what was wrong. At this, Rayne snickered slightly and I shot him a dirty look. She began rattling off facts about depression, one of them being that a change in appearance was a big sign of depression. I asked her if tying her hair in pigtails instead of ponytails was a sign of depression. She pouted and refused to look at me for the next half hour. By then, Rayne had broken out into full on laughter, and we both glared at him.
According to Trinity, standardized testing was a, as she put it, beech. I told her that beech was a type of tree, and standardized testing meant hours of free time. I was the person who finished within an hour, asked the teacher what to do, then pulled a book off the gargantuan stack before me and began to read. Trinity was the person who’d prolong their test just to skip class, but in all reality, she needed every second of testing time she could get. It’s not that Trinity wasn’t smart, she just wasn’t book-smart. She knew how to talk to people, she knew how to draw and bake, she just wasn’t good with numbers and letters. She learned through experience, not words. I avoided people like the plague, had no artistic talent whatsoever, but I could ace classes without batting an eye. We were somewhat like polar opposites; she was bubbly and outgoing, and I apparently looked like I was about to commit mass homicide. I didn’t know how to “people”. I had major struggles in communication that wasn’t strictly necessary, and I struggled plenty in that too. I was wonderful at the theoretical, since I was a whiz at numbers, but once it was put into the practical world, I again had major struggles. But it seemed that my struggles didn’t end there. Between eighth and ninth grade, I did Algebra II. It turned out I didn’t enroll in the right course, taking Algebra II instead of Algebra II Honors. I contacted the online school I enrolled in after finding that I couldn’t take Precalc if I didn’t take Algebra II Honors, and the two days they took to respond were the most stressful days of my life. After they switched my course for me, I flew through it. I barely finished the course with two A+s tacked onto my record. I struggled to maintain my grades above 95%, but I thought it was pretty good since I didn’t really have anyone to check my homework with.
High school at Ridgeview High was sort of scary. There was an obvious social order, and I happened to be at the very bottom. Although I left half an hour before Trinity, I forced myself into the habit of waking her up before I left for the bus. The few times I forgot, my phone would vibrate angrily throughout all of first period as she spammed me with random texts about how I was a terrible older sister that slowly devolved into chains of “asdfghjkl”. I soon found the option to leave my phone on silent, but that resulted in Trinity sulking in a corner much like Tamaki Suoh.
School passed relatively quickly, the ups and downs a faint and nebulous memory. Trinity and I typically enjoyed summer, as we had the house to ourselves and could do whatever we wanted within reason. I could usually be found sitting on the large beanbag in the library with two piles of books beside me, sorted into “read” and “unread”. If I wasn’t there, then I’d be fetching Trinity lunch or getting an ice cream from the creamery across the street. Trinity was usually with a group of girls, strolling through the mall or chatting a Starbucks. However, I found Trinity sitting in her room in a faux praying position and muttering after school was out. I caught phrases like “short summer” and “school sooner”, and stared at her, nonplussed. When I asked her what she was doing, she said she was hoping for summer to go by faster so she could go to school with me again. Right, there was that. Once summer was over, I’d be a junior and she’d be a freshman.
POSITIVES Shy, persistent, appears smart, tries to help others, focused, caring, isn’t overly loud, not terribly affected by insults. NEGATIVES Assumed to be unfriendly, has difficulties making friends, expert procrastinator, disorganized, horrible stage fright, worries about everything, closed off QUIRKS Resting scary face, either finishes schoolwork ASAP or procrastinates until the last minute possible, Halloween baby, hates cameras with a fury, is either obsessed or apathetic.
bearOffline554 POSTS
i miss missing you now and then
female
code skool
cute things
forest guardian
Administrator
accepted
welcome to the site!
the original art for absinthe is lovely!! ;o;

don't forget to do your claims!

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
lock
New Poll